The tile fresco of the former Bukowiner Sparkasse Head Office Building, Centralna Sq
The first exhibit of the museum was arranged at the Descent of the Holy Spirit Cathedral which didn’t function at that time. In 1991 the museum changed its address. Now it occupies the second and the third floors of former Bukowina Sparkasse built in 1900-1901.
The core of the museum collection is formed of the items collected by the Chernivtsi Museum of Local Lore. It was supplemented during scientific expeditions and for the account of charitable grants from some artists and philanthropists. The funds include more than 10 thousand items, the greater part of which have been included in the permanent exhibit.
The basis of the museum's funds is the art of Bukovyna from XVII – XX centuries starting from home icons made by folk craftsmen and finishing with monumental works of professional artists. Here is the collection Bukovynian carpets, embroideries, pysankas, works of cutters, jewellers and many other things worth notice. The exhibit of visual art displays the development of painting in Bukovyna, its directions and schools. Still, folk traditions prevailing in decorative arts of the land also dominate in the museum.
A close-up of the fresco and the balcony
The top of the building
A close-up of the left-hand statue
A close-up of the right-hand statue
A close-up of the eagle (as the symbol of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) on the left
The eagle on the right
A bookstore and the central Tourist Information Office in the building's ground floor
The text on the tourist info plaque says: Chernivtsi, located on half-way between Kyiv and Bucharest, Krakow and Odessa, was a secret capital of Europe with pavements cleaned with bunches of roses and with more bookstores than bakeries.