1 - 7
Chernivtsi's religious structures personify the best historical traditions of architecture. The oldest one is the wooden St. Mykolay Church typical for Bukovyna of XVI-XVIII centuries. In 1787 Roman-Catholic Cathedral of St. Cross Erection was built. Another distinguishing construction is the Holy Spirit Cathedral that was sanctified in 1864 by Eugen Hackmann, a Metropolitan of Bukovyna being one of the most outstanding personalities of Bukovyna’s spiritual life in the XIX century. A wonderful example of neo-Gothic is the Jesuit Jesus Heart Cathedral. Prominent samples of city's architecture monuments are Jewish synagogues.
The cathedral was built in late classicism style. The author was Ferdinand Roell, an outstanding architect from Vienna. The structure consists of the supported nave typical for the Bukovynian hieratic architecture and two similar bell towers next to the main façade. Above the main entrance to the Tympanum there is a crown on top of crossed metropolitan club and cross. The indoor scene was painted by a group of Vienna artists headed by Karl Jobst. Paintings are made in academism style with oil on plaster. The project initially took part in the contest for the construction of St. Isaac Cathedral in St. Petersburg.
The architects of this religious structure reconstructed the national Romanian Neo-Romanesc style. The prototype of the original solution with twisted side domes of the church was the permanent architecture in Curtea de Argeş, the place where Romanian kings found their eternal rest.
The beginning of this Cathedral's history dates back to 1870s when the number of Jesuits in Chernivtsi started gaining momentum. In 1875 Zygmunt Szczęsny Feliński, the Arbishop, officially referred to the Jesuit Community asking to promote Jesuit Fathers in the city.
In 1885 Father Symon Tychowsky was appointed as the main Jesuit priest in Bukovyna. First, worships were conducted in a chapel, however, as the number of followers was growing, the need for the dedicated cathedral became urgent.
After the municipality granted the land plot relevant for the construction project, Prof. Josef Leitzner from Chernivtsi High Industrial School developed the design. Initially the required amount was estimated as 160 thousand crowns but the final sum with sculptures, bells, big organ and the priest's residence built on the rear side totalled 208 thousand crowns.
In the middle of the XIX century the Armenian community counted almost 1000 people. As the parish was growing (in 1860-65 it had about 600 members), the need for their own church was growing too. In 1865 the first stone was put in the foundation of the new religious structure (naturally, designed by Josef Hlávka). Due to short financing the construction works took six years. As the project was too expensive, the design had not undergo some modifications to make the project cheaper. The middle tower became lower, the two side towers were left without the intended open gallery. The roof had to be covered with tiles similar to the Metropolitan Residence but was finally covered with sheet iron instead.
This was the first Roman-Catholic cathedral in the city. Its construction took about 30 years, interrupted by many misfortunes, and not only financial. During the process event the Cathedral's tower fell down twice. On July 29, 1814 the Cathedral was consecrated and given the name of Holy Cross Erection. In 1966 a fire destroyed the tower that was renovated based on the previous sample.
Chernivtsi had at least 6 synagogues through its history, two of them are in operation now and one of the latter is Beit Tfila Binyamin ("Binyamin’s House of Prayer”) that was built 1923 in Razboyeni St (now L.Kobylytsya St). The full synagogue's name is The House of Prayer of Benyamin, his Wife Pesya Beila and Their Son d-r Mordekhay.
The construction of this fascinating structure started in 1844 at the place of the old wooden church located at the corner of the modern Zankovetska and Holovna streets and had been initiated by Father Andrew Vasylovych, its guardian.
This church is distinguished by its classic architecture style combined with Byzantium and Ancient-Ukrainian traditions. Its founder was Ukrainian Tadey Turkul, a Bukovynian boyar from a respected old ancestry. As a sign of gratitude to him the church was bearing the name of St.Tadey for several decades, the same name was given to the church fellowship founded in 1834 being the first Ukrainian non-governmental organization in Bukovyna.
Unfortunately, the church that we can see now is not quite the same to what is shown in old photos. In 1992 the fire (which was probably intentionally burnt) destroyed two thirds of it. In 1996 this architectural monument was recovered. Now it’s a functioning church of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate.