Chernivtsi Drama Theater. Teatralna Square
Chernivtsi Ukrainian Olha Kobylyanska Music and Drama Theater (formerly City Theater in Elizabeth Square) was built in 1904-1905 by Fellner & Helmer architect bureau. The firm specialized in theater construction and developed 48 theater buildings in Europe. In particular, they were authors of Vienna and Odessa opera theaters, owing to which the Chernivtsi's theater looks quite similar to them.
Hermann Helmer and Ferdinand Fellner
So the Theater looked soon after its erection
The building has Vienna modernist features and is a pure baroque example. Initially the city coat of arms was placed above the pediment. The façade is decorated with sculpture compositions (Apollo statue with a lute in his hands surrounded by antique characters) placed above the entrance and side windows. Above the front windows busts of William Shakespeare and Richard Wagner and placed. Other walls show busts of Shevchenko, Pushkin, Goethe, Schiller, Beethoven, Schubert, Mozart, Haydn.
The Apollo statue
Relief portrait of William Shakespeare
Another relief portrait, this time of Richard Wagner
Portrait sculpture of Taras Shevchenko
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Ludwig van Beethoven
In 1909 a monument to the famous German playwright Friedrich Schiller was erected in front of the main entrance, which had been remaining at its place until 1921. On September 1, 1980 monument to Olha Kobylyanska, a famous Ukrainian writer born in Bukovyna and creating in Chernivtsi was erected at this place (sculptors A.Skyba, M.Miroshnychenko; architect O.Taratuta).
Former monument to Schiller
The Theater and the Schiller monument
Today's Olha Kobylyanska monument
The laurel wreath on its spire
Former place of the city's coat of arms
The memorial plaque to theater's designers
Panorama of Teatralna Square