Chernivtsi Philharmonic Hall, Filarmonska Sq
Filarmonska ("Philharmonic”) square is cosy and flirty. It’s not surprising that it changed its name so often enjoying the collection of Rudolfplatz, Dacia or Victory Square former names. However, the oldest city residents prefer naming it Mehlplatz ("Flour square”). Bread flour was widely traded here in the first half of the XIX century but then this land plot was taken under detention and occupied by a gunpowder depot, food supply depot (1777), brickyard, military quarters (1787) and a prison (1787). No doubt, the new neighbourhood made the square a gloomy place.
The situation only improved in 1860s when Mehlplatz changed its actual status from outskirts to the city center. The quarters and powder depots moved to the territory of today’s T.Shevchenko park and the prison was replaced by the proud stone building of National hotel (in today's Tolstoy St 2, now occupied by a part of the Bukovynian Finance and Law University).
Bukovyna is a land of songs. In 1862 city residents established the Music Society and in April 1876 the first stone in the foundation of the future society accommodation was laid in Mehlplatz. In December 1877 the building was finished and later, throughout its almost 150-year history, has welcomed a number of outstanding personalities.
The five-storey building of former Hotel Bristol is another architectural dominant of the Square. Its rooms are now rented to students of Bukovinian State Medical University. Next to this "skyscraper” stands an old decorative water pump reminding us of the times when aesthetics were as important as functionality. Even the fence near Bristol saves the shape of its predecessor from the 1930s.