Holovna Street in Chernivtsi
It won’t be unusual if a Chernivtsi guide starts introducing the city from its old part, the crossing of Holovna and P.Sahaydachniy Streets. It was once Fountain square named so for a natural spring which was flowing out here.
St.Praxedia church in the beginning of the street, right above former Fountain Square
The Austrian administration erected its first building, the so-called General’s House, in 1780 at the corner of today’s Holovna, Shkilna and Sholem Aleichem Streets.
It neighbours on the austere Roman-Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Cross Erection (1787). The high spire of this temple was used as a fire watch point for a long time.
Cathedral of the Holy Cross Erection
The space below the Cathedral used to be named Holy Cross Square. The formation of this little square was finished in the early XX century by an original building at the corner of Holovna and Sholem Aleichem decorated by the fountain in the form of lion head and clam bowl. This "ship” house is finalized with a tower and survey veranda on the cone-shaped mansard floor covered with coloured roof. The sharp-cornered building as if cuts the surrounding space thus giving an edge to its exact name.
The "Ship" house
Close to the square, in the mid XIX century there was Moldavia hotel being then the center of the city art events. It had a concert hall in which Franz (Ferencz) Liszt gave a concert on May 24, 1847. Today the Chernivtsi Puppet Theater is located here.
Chernivtsi Art Nouveau style in Holovna st. is well represented by numerous apartment buildings (so-called "profitable” houses) and single-family villas, as well as hotels built in 1890-1910.
When we follow the street on, we’ll see House No.42, an apartment house built in the early XX century with wooden balconies, mouldings and verticals of glazed bricks. The ground floor of the building is occupied by Passage department store which gave its name to the whole building. The house neighbours on today's Kyiv (former Palace) hotel and houses No. 48 and 50, another secession architectural ensemble.
Passing through Centralna Sq
The slope to Centralna Sq
The same slope, a building at the corner of Holovna and Kokhanovsky Streets
A telamon so much beloved by Chernivtsi architects of the past
City Gymnasium (Dedicated High School) No.2
Kyiv Hotel (former Palace Hotel)
A turret on the building on the Kyiv Hotel's left
Holovna St seen from the public garden in Soborna Sq
City Public School No.4
City Military Office (former military quarters)
Decorations on the top of the City Military Office building
Entrance to Shevchenko Park