Khotyn fortress panorama
Khotyn District is located in the North-Eastern part of Chernivtsi Oblast. It borders on Novoselytsia District in the South, Kelmentsy District in the East, Zastavna District in the West and Ternopil and Khmelnitskiy Oblasts in the North. The Northern border goes along the Dniester river. The District occupies 717 sq. km. The administrative center is the ancient town of Khotyn located 69 km afar from Chernivtsi.
Entrance to Khotyn
Khotyn town center
Khotyn historical customs building
Park in Khotyn
Archaeologists found that a Slavic settlement existed on the territory of today’s Khotyn city in the VIII century. Eastern Slavs built a wooden fortress on the right bank of the Dniester which was surrounded by settlements later. In XIII century Prince Danylo of Galicia ordered to replace the wooden fortress by a stone one, which was many times reconstructed and enlarged, destroyed by conquerors and rebuilt again. The walls of Khotyn Fortress were witnesses of many historical events and numerous battles. The biggest battle took place in 1621. Khotyn Fortress is the greatest historical and architectural monument of Khotyn District.
The Battle of Nations annual historical festival in Khotyn
It is interesting to visit the museum of local lore located in a park in the center of Khotyn. Next to the museum there is Svyato-Pokrovska church built in 1867-1868.
Khotyn Local Lore Museum inside
Svyato-Pokrovska church in Khotyn
Svyato-Mikolayivska Church, the oldest monument of architecture, is located in the Southern part of Khotyn. The church belongs to the temple heritage uncommon for Ukraine and originating from traditions of the Afon center of Christian monasteries.
Svyato-Mykolayivska church in Khotyn
Marvellous panoramas of District villages can be seen from the top of the Nedoboivska mountain with its windmills built in the XIV century.
A historical windmill
Klishkivtsi, the largest village of Khotyn District, is famous for Leonid Kadeniuk, the first astronaut of independent Ukraine who was born there. The village's school has an aerospace museum.
The cemetery of Stavchany village has a large burial mound. Warriors of the Russian tzar's army who died during the Battle of Stavuchany 1739 rest there.
A pagan idol in Stavchany
The tour along the right bank of the Dniester starts in Ataki village located 2 km away from Khotyn. A vivid panorama opens from the Rashkivska mountain. The rocks above the Dniester close to Rashkova village have several caves.
Khotyn on Google Maps