Panoramic view of Khotyn Fortress
Khotyn Fortress is a set of fortification structures on the banks of the Dniester River in Khotyn, Chernivtsi Oblast of Western Ukraine. The construction of the fortress in its modern shapes started in 1325, while major improvements were made in the 1380s and in the 1460s.
Throughout the history the fortress served Rus principalities, Tatars, Turkey, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Russian Empire, Moldavian National Republic, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Romania and Ukraine.
The fortress is a large tourist attraction for the area and Ukraine. In 2007, it was awarded the title one of the Seven Wonders of Ukraine. It has also enjoyed the National Ukrainian Architectural Preserve status since 2000.
A trip to here from Chernivtsi will cover some 65 km by H03.
A historical illustration
Alexander Nevsky church near the fortress
The interior of Alexander Nevsky church
The same church before its renovation
Monument to Ukrainian warriors
A close-up of the main gate
In the moat
Dniester view from the South-East
The fortress looks very formidable
...especially from the Dniester
A general view of the fortress and Alexander Nevsky church from the Dniester
The fortress dominates over the Dniester's right bank
In the yard
A historical gun in the yard
The main gate from inside
Fortress yard's broader view
The area between the fortress and its rampart
A rampart section
Participants of the Battle of Nations annual historical festival
A medieval-style fight during the Battle of Nations
Khotyn fortress on Google Maps