The former Palace of Justice as seen from its left, Hrushevsky St (near Teatralna Sq)
The place for the future Bukovynian Palace of Justice structure was found and approved in 1899, the construction itself only started in April 1905 and was finished in just a bit more than a year, formally ended on October 7, 1906. The architect (no surprise) was, once and again, Josef Hlávka.
The building façade is decorated with coloured ceramic bricks made specifically for this palace and ceramic insertions. The main façade is crowned with the statues of Themis, the goddess of justice, and Nemesis, the goddess of retaliation. Two lions "guard” the main entrance against falsehood and trickery. This is one of the most beautiful and impressive buildings in the Chernivtsi surrounded by today's Hrushevsky, Mickiewicz, Kotlyarevsky and Bandera (formerly Vatutin) Streets.
The newly-built Palace of Justice, early XX century
The lions are never tired of guarding impartiality and honesty
The general view from the right
Themis and Nemesis, a close-up