Descent of the Holy Spirit Cathedral in Soborna Square, left-hand view
Soborna (Eng. "Cathedral”, formerly Austrian and Soviet in different times) Square was named so after the Descent of the Holy Spirit Cathedral located in its lower part where the Square joins Holovna St.
Holy Spirit Cathedral and monument to metropolitan Eugen Hackmann in Soborna Square
Descent of the Holy Spirit Cathedral as seen from Kafedralna St
Ornamental details of the Cathedral
Opposite to the Cathedral there is a tiny public garden which serves as the beginning of the city's largest square. Sometimes it was an empty place where two-week crowded fairs with music and various entertainment were arranged every year. Folk actors and musicians performed on temporary wooden stages under the open sky.
Tribute to WWII soldiers and the public garden behind it
A monument symbolizing Austria was erected in the square to the 100th anniversary of Austrian rule over the land. It was more than 8 meters high, the core figure was made of white marble with golden ornaments. From then on the Square was named Austrian. That official name, as well as the monument itself, remained in existence until 1918 when the territory was taken over by Romania. During Soviet times the Victory monument (Monument to Liberators, 1946) was erected here.
Austria statue and Austria-Platz (today's Soborna ("Cathedral") Square) in the early XX century
The massive four-storey structure on the public garden's right is the house of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Bukovynian Province Government). Its design was developed by architect v.Glaubitz jointly with Josef Hlávka. The building was accomplished in austere classic forms in 1869-1873. Now it's Building No.14 of the Chernivtsi National University.
The building of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Bukovynian Province Government) as seen from the public garden
The building of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Bukovynian Province Government), right-hand side
The building of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Bukovynian Province Government), right-hand side, end of XIX - early XX century
The building of former Bukowiner Landtag (House of Bukovynian Province Government), left-hand side
Sculptures in the yard of former Bukowiner Landtag
Today the Square is not only famous for its architecture, but also for its cultural significance. This is the place to conduct various public concerts and festivals (in particular, during the City Day). And this is the traditional place to install the Christmas Tree and the New Year/Christmas market surrounding it.
Christmas tree in Soborna Square
Christmas market in Soborna Square
Soborny department store in Soborna Square
And tiny Omelyan Popovych street behind the Landtag leads us to catholic Jesuit Jesus Heart Cathedral built in 1891-1894. Its high spire enchanting with own majesty is visible from any Chernivtsi suburb.
Jesus Heart Cathedral as seen from Omelyan Popovych St