Domes of St. Mykolay ("Nicolas") Cathedral in Ruska St
The Romanian community of Chernivtsi wished to have its own Orthodox cathedral representing their contribution to the city's heritage. Between the two World Wars, when whole Bukovyna was part of Romania, their ambitions embodied in the form of St. Mykolay ("Nikolas") Cathedral. The construction started in 1927, was suspended due to financial hardships and completed in 1939, immediately before the Kingdom of Romania was forced out of the region.
The architects of this religious structure reconstructed the national Romanian Neo-Romanesc style. The prototype of the original solution with twisted side domes of the church was the permanent architecture in Curtea de Argeş, the place where Romanian kings found their eternal rest.
The "mother" cathedral in Curtea de Argeş, Romania
A contest for iconostasis was announced which was won by the Bucharest painter Rafael Molda (iconographer) and Grigoreu Dumitresku-Lovendal – a sculptor who made the woodwork.
The thirteen stained-glass windows were made by the painter Kirowicz, another resident of Bucharest, and their frameworks were developed by Wilhelm Swidersky residing in Chernivtsi. The fence was made by Aleksandr Mankovsky based on the design by Virgil Ionescu.
Two bells weighting 948 and 542 kilograms were brought from Transylvania.
Due to the twisted dome shape the Cathedral is also called "Drunk Church”.
Approaching from the city center
The cathedral in all its glory
Hiding behind the trees
The "drunk" domes
View on the right-hand side
The rear view