The mountain in the outskirts of Vashkivtsi, Vyzhnytsia District has been deemed holy for a long time. A legend says that during the era when Ukraine was under Tatar oppression there was a girl named Anna famous for her beauty and kindness. The girl had a long plait and big black eyes. Tatars knew about her and once decided to sneer at her. The girl ran to the mountain escaping from them but didn’t afford doing that, so she started praying asking the Lord to save her body and soul. When enemies came up too close to her a miracle happened, the Earth opened up and swallowed her. Only her plait remained on the ground surface. Tatars were looking for the girl for long but only found her wet hair. The wind wrested this hair from their hands and dispersed it over the whole mountain.
To remember that miracle, local Christians raised a grave here and erected a stone cross and the mountain has been named Anna’s since then. Soon a healing source outwelled from the ground which attracted people to the place. After some time the cross was destroyed by a lightning. It was restored in 1848, the year when serfdom was abolished in Austria (a part of which Bukovyna was at those times). Probably then the wooden church was built here which burnt later in the early XX century. People didn’t forget about the sacred mountain for hundreds of years.
In 1993 the St. Righteous Anna Women’s Monastery on the Anna’s Mountain was founded here. St. Anna cathedral was built together with the lower church of St. Great Martyr Maccabaeus, cells, resident buildings and household premises.
The St. Martyr Maccabaeus church has an ark with parts of the holy relics of Hozebitus Martyrs and other saints.
The Anna’s Mountain provides wonderful view not only onto Vashkivtsi but also almost onto the whole Cheremosh from Vyzhnytsia in the South-West to its junction with the Prut in the North and the Cecino mountain in the East. And in the South you’ll see blue stretching Bukovynian mountains and their valleys.
The shortest (and the optimum) car route to the Monastery from Chernivtsi is a maximum of 45 km.
Approaching the Monastery
St. Anna Cathedral
A household structure
Modern monasteries love achievements of the civilization. A Ukrtelecom phone booth
Monastery's carving crafts
Cross to the serfdom abolition in 1848
St. Anna Cathedral
The Carpathians are on the horizon
A very reliable security officer
A residential building
St. Anna Cathedral and the holy cross
A sunset view from the Anna's Mountain
St. Anna Monastery on Google Maps