Taras Shevchenko monument in Centralna Sq
Taras Shevchenko, probably, the most outstanding poetical, literature and cultural figure in Ukraine's history, has never visited Bukovyna but his influence on the development of this land's Ukrainian national conscience is hard to overestimate. The first substantial commemoration of his memory was yet in 1909 during the Austro-Hungarian rule, when a street in today's city center was given his name.
The first monument to Shevchenko, a portrait sculpture, appeared in Chernivtsi during the Soviet era. However, it was not only too small as for such a great personality, but also placed behind the Main Building of today's Chernivtsi National University, too far from the city center even to notice it. Therefore, as soon as Ukraine gained its independence, the issue of a fundamental monument to the great Kobzar in a central square became urgent.
At the end 1990s the relevant parcel of land was allotted in Centralna Square and the construction started based on the design and sculpture by Mykola Lysakovsky and Petro Lemsky. The formal opening of the monument was timed to the meeting of the three presidents, from Ukraine, Moldova and Romania, on May 25, 1999.
Taras Shevchenko in front of the poster to Chernivtsi's 600th anniversary (2008)