Teatralna Square in Chernivtsi
It’s hard to believe but two centuries ago this place was a dense forest. In 1800 the municipal government even had to issue an edict to organize wolf hunting to keep the city safe. But a hundred years thereafter those former outskirts were already proudly bearing the name of Elizabeth square featuring multi-storey buildings.
The architectural ensemble of Teatralna ("Theater”) Square with its granite slopes towards the center is one of the most exciting and beautiful Chernivtsi places. A decoration of the square and its key building is Olha Kobylyanska Music and Drama Theater built in 1903-1905 by architects H.Helmer and F.Fellner. The Theater is a harmonic combination of neo-baroque and Art Nouveau styles.
Ornamental elements of the Theater
Heidn's portrait sculpture on the Theater
The new Art Nouveau secession style dominating in Chernivtsi in the early XX century also influenced other architectural works in Teatralna Square an example of which is the Jewish National House (now the City Culture Palace) built in 1908.
An ornamental feature on the Culture Palace
F.Gottesman’s Chamber of Commerce and Crafts (now the main building of the Bukovyna State Medical University) built in 1908-1910 features late secession.
Ornamental details of the former Chamber of Commerce and Crafts)
Behind this building within the rectangular formed by four streets (Hrushevskiy, Kotlyarevskiy, Mickiewicz and Bandera (former Vatutin) St) you’ll find the monumental structure of Chernivtsi Oblast State Administration initially built in 1905-1906 as the Palace of Justice.
An apartment building on Theater's left
A closer look at its turret
The Theater's ticket office
Stern St behind the Theater
An old Milk Cafeteria sign
The building behind the Theater (now a public school)