The Armenian Catholic Church (also the City Organ Music Hall), the front view
In the middle of the XIX century the Armenian community in Chernivtsi counted almost 1000 people. As the parish was growing (in 1860-65 it had about 600 members), the need for their own church was growing too. In 1865 the first stone was put in the foundation of the new religious structure (naturally, designed by Josef Hlávka). Due to short financing the construction works took six years. As the project was too expensive, the design had to undergo some modifications to make the project cheaper. The middle tower became lower, the two side towers were left without the intended open gallery. The roof had to be covered with tiles similar to the Metropolitan Residence but was finally covered with sheet iron instead.
The church was consecrated on October 9, 1875.
The church's layout forms Latin cross with one main nave and two side naves. The two high towers are a true adornment of the structure. Statues of Apostles Peter and Paul standing in front of the sanctuary were removed during the atheist times but were renovated in the mid 2010s. The design combines Roman style, Gothic and traditional Armenian architecture. Also it has wonderful acoustics, due to which it has always served as an organ concert hall. Indoor scenes are quite exquisite.
After decades of atheism and endless renovation the church finally gained the appearance it deserves. The organ hall is full of music again.
Next to the church the "Angel of Mercy” sculpture by Volodymyr Hamal was installed.
Although the church isn’t in service now, it serves as a concert hall, in particular for organ music.
The view from the left
The hammered iron fence creates a special atmosphere
The front side
The plaque telling the story of the Church creation in Armenian and Latin languages
A tile embedded in the stone part of the Church's fence
Maestro restaurant on the Church's right