The German National House in Olha Kobylyanska St, the front view
The House was built for the funds collected by Verein der christlichen Deutschen in der Bukowina (Union of Christian Germans in Bukovyna) in 1908-1910 by Gustav Fritsch as the architect and Erwin Müller as the engineer. This represented the German community in Bukovyna, which had been expanding as Chernivtsi and whole Bukovyna were a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. It survived both World Wars and now, although mainly exploited as an apartment building, the house provides its ground-floor areas to some businesses and culture organizations, the German National House being among them.
An old post-card with the House
The house is a prominent part of the last quarter of Kobylyanska St
A closer look
The main entrance to the House
The memorial plaque on the building