6 - 8
Besides Chernivtsi itself, the whole region is full of sights that will draw your attention. You'll see Khotyn fortress, smaller castles, lots of old and modern religious structures, houses that remember outstanding people and many other unbelievable places.
This section mostly concentrates on architectural sights of the region. To see the beauty of its rivers and waterfalls, forests and caves, please, refer to the Nature section.
Below are some of the places worth seeing if you decide to travel in Bukovyna.
Khotyn Fortress is a set of fortification structures on the banks of the Dniester River in Khotyn, Chernivtsi Oblast of Western Ukraine. The construction of the fortress in its modern shapes started in 1325, while major improvements were made in the 1380s and in the 1460s.
Throughout the history the fortress served Rus principalities, Tatars, Turkey, the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the Russian Empire, Moldavian National Republic, the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Romania and Ukraine.
This cathedral is a true masterpiece of religious architectonics of whole Bukovyna. It was built as the main church of the local nunnery for the account of Hlib and Olha Ovsyannikovs, a rich family of Moscow Old Believers. The design was developed by the Moscow architect A.Kuznetsov (although some sources mention Austrian A.Klick). Its construction cost half a million Russian gold roubles, an enormous amount of money for that time.
The layout is cross-shaped with five baths looking like big bulbs. Domes are covered with copper leaves and crowned with gold-plated crosses. Its decoration has elements of eclectic architecture, such as cutstones, ceramic glaze of blue, orange and pink colours.
Repuzhyntsi village is located on the Dniester's right bank several kilometers East of Chreshchatyk. The village was founded in 1353 by the local landlord Askold Repuzhynetsky. Later the village fell to decay due to Tatar attacks and revived in 1772.
Before the World War II Repuzhyntsi was famous for its nicely looking castle palace of the local landlord, and today this ancient village is well-known for its Gothic-styled mausoleum and the stone Pokrova church made in the style of Ancient Rus and Bukovyna with XVIII century paintings and distinctive bell tower made of stone and wood.
The story of this monastery located in Galytsya village and facing the Dniester dates back to the early second millenium A.D. Archaeologists deem that this monastery was established in the mid XII century the monks who settled in caves. Based on the available documents, it did function before 1800. In the beginning XIX century it was completely destroyed by the Turkish. The cloister died and revived several times. When monks left the monastery, its church became open for people. In the early 1950s it was added to the St. John the Evangelist Khreshchatyk monastery but in 1957 it was closed by the authorities and abandoned. In March 1999 the monks from the Khreshchatyk fraternity decided to revive the Galytsya monastery for which they were Blessed by the Ruling Eparch.
The mountain in the outskirts of Vashkivtsi has been deemed holy for a long time. A legend says that during the era when Ukraine was under Tatar oppression there was a girl named Anna famous for her beauty and kindness. The girl had a long plait and big black eyes. Tatars knew about her and once decided to sneer at her. The girl ran to the mountain escaping from them but didn’t afford doing that, so she started praying asking the Lord to save her body and soul. When enemies came up too close to her a miracle happened, the Earth opened up and swallowed her. Only her plait remained on the ground surface. Tatars were looking for the girl for long but only found her wet hair. The wind wrested this hair from their hands and dispersed it over the whole mountain.
The Monastery was founded in October 1994 and opened in December 1996. Its construction was managed by Bishop Longin (Zhar) who later became the Monastery's Father Superior. In 1994-1998 the Ascension church was built, in 1995 the construction of Pokrova church with the lower chapel of venerable Seraphim of Sarov (consecrated in 2003) and the subsurface chapel of Sergius of Radonezh started. The Monastery's ensemble includes two fraternal buildings, two hotels, Father Superior's house with frates' cells, household priory with the Transfiguration church, Nativity of Christ chapel, St. Lazarus of the Four Days church, bell-tower with a building and the Holy Triple Cathedral. In 2011 the sanctuary was visited by the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill who consecrated the Holy Triple cathedral being one of today's largest orthodox churches in Ukraine
The wooden Assumption church and the bell tower have been saved and are architectural monuments of national importance. The church is located in the North-Eastern part of the village on a picturesque mountain of the steep Dniester bank, in the Monastery's territory. The church is domeless, has stone foundation and is reinforced with stone buttresses, consists of three blockhouses. The design is based on the archaic layout of three rectangular blockhouses where the nave is wider than the altar and the gallery. The church has a high sloping roof.
The church is the oldest sample of the archaic wooden church which survived until now keeping its initial appearance untouched. The age of this tiny church resembling a peasant house is almost four hundred years. It was erected in 1618 from large oak beams.
The church was built in the XVIII century for the account of Vilchynskiy, a rich resident of the village. The structure is located in Bukivka, Khotyn District. This is a typical Bukovynian wooden church, however, unlike in other churches, its bell tower with two-level roof is semi-attached to the main building. And unlike other old churches in Bukovyna, this is not covered with plastic lining yet.
Chortoriya village (Kitsman District) is famous for Ivan Mykolaychuk, an outstanding Ukrainian actor and movie director who was born here. Some of his most famous works are The Dream (where Mykolaychuk starred Taras Shevchenko) and Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors. Mykolaychuk starred in 23 films, also he wrote scripts and music.
The museum is arranged in Mykolaychuk’s house located in the outskirts of Chortoriya. The house only has two rooms and a small utility room, although for those times it was considered rich. At this manor Ivan's parents brought up 10 children.